Saturday 4 September 2010

The core of church planting from the Big Apple

Hi everyone! I just wanted to make a post to say, we've arrived safely in New York.  Well we're actually in New Jersey but from where I'm sitting we have amazing views of NY.  I am looking over the Hudson and can see a lot of the cityscape including the Empire State building (as well as other landmarks we don't know yet).  We're staying in a new apartment building called 70 Greene.  It's much nicer than we expected and on the 43rd floor! But I'm not in NY for the stunning views and high rise apartments.
"On this earth we don't have a city that lasts forever, but we are waiting for such a city." Hebrews 13:14 
As I look over the city I am realising in a new way that planting a new church here is a completely different challenge to planting one in East London.  So why come here?  I hope to find the core of what it takes to plant a church in any major city.  That's what the Fall Intensive is all about.  The people are different, the houses are different and the economies are different... But the Jesus & His gospel is aways the same.

Redeemer is a church based in NYC with lead Pastor Tim Keller.  They have not only helped plant churches in many of the diverse communities in NY but have also done the same in many churches across the world.  I believe what I will learn here will help me trust in Jesus more and help me with vision and practical tools to plant our little church back in Bonny Downs (the best community in the world!).

At the same time however, I don't want to get sucked into the dream that "plans" or "strategies" are what you need to really plant a church.  I've heard all sorts of different ideas for what you "need" to plant a church and every time they offer success if you follow them properly.  However, the bottom line is not "strategy" is the saviour of church planting...  Jesus is the only saviour!  

That's what Redeemer is all about and that's why I'm here! 

BenAboutLondon

1 comment:

  1. Ben, may you be truly blessed by your venture across the pond. . Praying you come cack with a newness, and peace with affirmation and confidence.

    Not a regular blogger personally but wanted to let you know we're praying for you. ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Go on say "Hi!"