Monday 8 February 2010

Entrepreneurs, Prostitutes & Bouncers

It's funny how the thing I love most about living in East London is also my biggest challenge in planting a church.


Newham is the most diverse community in the UK. In my small patch alone we have people from Poland, Lithuania, Slovakia, Nigeria, Ghana, Pakistan, Jamaica, Iran and Lebanon to mention a few. It's not just cultural diversity its also diversity of interests, faith, wealth and political views. One of the first things I was taught to do when I became a missionary was to get to know the community. Well I am and to be honest the more I learn the more I need to learn.  I know that the gospel (correctly understood) is glue that can bind together people from any background. But how do you plant a truly diverse church?

At the moment in Cafe Church we have been following Paul (the original church planter) on his journey and trying to learn a few lessons.  Recently we looked at his ministry in Philippi.  The first person he converted there was a lady called Lydia who was a successful business woman.  In the gospel Lydia found all that money couldn't buy.  Paul then goes on to release a demon possessed fortune telling slave girl by the power of Jesus.  In the gospel that slave girl found freedom. Then, while in prison Paul saves a working class jailer.  In the gospel that Jailer found true security.  The same gospel crossed all their boundaries and answered all their deepest needs!
They said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household." Acts 16:31  
Can you imagine that first church meeting in Philippi?  That's the first century equivalent to have Dragon's Den's Deborah Meaden, an ex-prostitute and a local bouncer meeting together for worship.  The diversity of that first church was amazing and beautiful.  That's what I want in our church plant.  I want people to look in and see people of all colours, races and backgrounds that represent our local community.  Because that's what the true gospel looks like.

I'll be honest; we don't look like that now.  We are mainly white east-enders. The challenge we have now is how do a bunch of English people breakout and become relevant to a mixed community?  I have heard people say that you can't do it and you can't please everyone.  I can understand that logic but I can't agree with it when I meditate on the gospel.  In east London there are loads of new churches being planted that have no relation to their local communities.  I do not want our church to become like that.

I don't know what the answer is (although I have ideas) but I do know that:
  • The gospel is what everyone is looking for
  • The gospel is the same basic message for everyone
  • Only the gospel can truly bring unity in diversity
  • When real diversity is seen in a church the beauty and awesomeness of the gospel is seen
"It is too small a thing that you should be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob and to bring back the preserved of Israel; I will make you as a light for the nations, that my salvation may reach to the end of the earth." Isaiah 49:6
I don't want to limit the work of Jesus and make the gospel "too small a thing."


Please pray with me that before our church is too big we will be able to diversify.

If you have an ideas for me please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on say "Hi!"